Easy Butternut Squash Soup
This creamy low carb recipe is vegetarian and vegan if you use plant based butter. Have you ever wondered "How to Make" a soup out of winter squash? Try this easy and healthy version that takes just minutes to prepare. Use vegetable stock, onion, and garlic to add simple flavors to this gluten free and dairy free recipe. Serve with roasted chickpeas for a fun and protein packed Whole 30 lunch or Meatless Monday main dish!
- 1/2 large butternut squash peeled, deseeded, and roughly cubed
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion peeled and sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic peeled and grated
- pinch nutmeg powder
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 Tbsp butter plant based if needed
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- grated Parmesan cheese, cream (dairy free if preferred), and fresh basil leaves, for garnish optional
Heat olive oil in a cooking pot.
Add onion and garlic to it and cook on medium flame until onion turns translucent.
Stir in cubed butternut squash and cook it all for about 5 minutes.
Pour the broth into the pot. Let the broth come to a boil and then simmer it on lowflame until the squash is soft and cooked through.
Remove the pot from heat and cool it slightly.
Use an immersion blender to blender the soup until evenly smooth.
Reheat the soup on low flame.
Add butter and season it with salt, black pepper, and nutmeg powder.
Serve the soup and garnish it (optional) with grated Parmesan cheese, cream, or basil leaves and enjoy!