By: Sarah Koontz
Who doesn’t love chicken nuggets? Most of us grew up on them, and if we were being honest…..our kids have eaten their fair share of these little gems as well.
Here at Grounded & Surrounded, we do our best to follow the 80/20 rule.
Eighty percent of the time we try to feed our families as healthy, clean and organic as possible. But twenty percent of the time we loosen our belts a bit and allow ourselves to splurge.
As many of you know by now, I am 100% gluten free. But (thank GOD!) I am not so sensitive that I can’t consume food that is prepared in the same facility as gluten. Because of this, I have been known to swing by McDonald’s after school to pick up some chicken nuggets for the girls (and french fries for me…)!
Sammi and I send our children to the same school, and one day after school we happened to be coming down the hill together and when Sammi saw my car veer towards McDonald’s she sent me this text after she arrived at the grocery store two blocks down (disregard the bottom half of the text, I was just clearance shopping and picked up a few extra items for Sammi because we are BFF’s after all):
Yes people, this type of heckling is what I have to put up with on a regular basis from Sammi. She really is a SASSY little thing! Totally off subject but I also discovered “snippet” in my phone….our poor children:
So, all of this to say that I am not opposed to the occasional fast food run. I hope I never get too high and mighty in my clean eating adventures that I can no longer enjoy McDonald’s from time to time.
In between my “splurges”, I have discovered a great method for making my own homemade healthy chicken nuggets. Let’s be honest, this recipe is just one of one-hundred versions I have made because I can never seem to make the same thing twice.
But they turned out amazing and I love how quickly they come together. I usually serve these chicken nuggets with some baked beans and frozen corn for a quick and simple dinner.
This is definitely one of my go to kid-friendly meals! I love that they are gluten free so I can enjoy them as well.
I also love taking the leftover nuggets, slicing them up, and eating them the next day over a green salad. It is about as close to “fried chicken” as I get these days!
Healthy Homemade Chicken Nuggets
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp raw honey
- 1 cup breadcrumbs gluten-free if necessary
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 Tbsp Homemade Ranch Seasoning Mix
- 1 Tbsp ground flax seed optional
- 2 lbs chicken, cut into 2"x2" chunks
- salt and pepper
- Mix egg mixture ingredients in shallow dish. Mix bread mixture ingredients in a separate shallow dish. Cut chicken into 2 inch by 2 inch cubes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Dredge chicken in egg mixture then in breadcrumb mixture.
- Place coated chicken pieces on cooling rack on top of baking sheet. The cooling rack will allow the chicken to be crispy on each side. Spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray. The spray will help the breading to become brown and crispy.
- Bake at 375F for 15-20 minutes or until browned on the outside and cooked through on the inside.