Make this easy Taco Soup Recipe in one pot in under an hour! Loaded with protein, veggies, and beans, it’s a hearty comfort food soup that will fill your belly and satisfy your tastebuds.
Why You’ll Love This Easy Taco Soup Recipe
- Easy – All you have to do is combine the ingredients. Then, the stove top does all the hard work, simmering the flavors together. Plus, with just one pot, cleaning up is a breeze!
- Nutritious – Made with all the flavor of your favorite tacos, this recipe is a great way to take your taco Tuesday up a notch with high-protein, vitamins, nutrients, and fiber thanks to the meat, beans, and veggies.
- Customizable – Feel free to mix and match any ingredients you have on hand and like best, and don’t forget to include all the best toppings! I like to set out a taco bar so everyone can pick their favorites.
What’s the Difference Between Taco Soup and Chili?
While both taco soup and chili are made with similar ingredients, they aren’t quite the same things. The primary difference is in the consistency!
Taco soup has a slightly soupier consistency and is thinner than chili. Meanwhile, chili is chunkier and thicker.
In addition, taco soup typically has more Tex-Mex-inspired flavors while chili is typically a little spicier with warm spices like chili powder and cumin.
Below is an overview of the ingredients and instructions to make this recipe. Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card below for the complete details including prep time, total, time, nutrition information, etc.
- Ground Meat – I prefer to use lean ground beef (80% or leaner), but you could also use ground chicken or ground turkey.
- Veggies – Yellow or white onion, bell pepper zucchini, corn, and diced tomatoes make this simple taco soup recipe full of nutrients and super filling.
- Beans – I use a tri-blend beans, but white beans, black beans, or kidney beans will all work.
- Water – Feel free to substitute bone broth if preferred. It adds a little more savory flavor!
- Seasonings – Taco seasoning, Ranch seasoning, salt, and pepper combine to make this the best taco soup recipe ever.
How to Make This Easy Taco Soup Recipe
- Brown the meat in a large pot, breaking it up into pieces as it cooks.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stirring to combine.
- Simmer until the flavors combine and the veggies are tender.
- Adjust the seasonings to suit your preferences. Then, add your favorite toppings, and enjoy!
Tips for the Best Taco Soup Recipe
- Adjust the seasonings – Wait until the end of cooking. Then, taste your soup right before serving, and adjust the ingredients as needed. Feel free to include an extra dash of chili powder, cayenne pepper, or hot sauce for extra heat!
- Drain and rinse the beans – If you’re using canned beans, be sure to drain and rinse them before adding them to your soup. Otherwise, it might be too salty.
- Stir the pot – Don’t forget to stir the ingredients occasionally as they cook. This prevents anything from sticking to the bottom of the pot and burning.
Feel free to serve your soup on its own, or dress it up with toppings like:
- Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt
- Shredded Cheese
- Sliced Green Onion (Scallions)
- Red Onions
- Black Olives
- Fresh Cilantro
- Guacamole or Avocado
- Lime Wedges
- Tortilla Chips
How to Store and Reheat
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three to four days.
- Freeze the cooled soup for up to three months. For single-serving portions, pour it into freezer cubes first. Then, transfer the cubes to a freezer-safe bag! Thaw in the fridge overnight before serving.
- Reheat your soup in a pot on the stove over medium heat. Or, warm individual servings in 30 second increments in the microwave.
Common Questions About This Easy Taco Soup Recipe
Can I make taco soup in the slow cooker?
Absolutely! To do so, brown the meat in a skillet on the stove. Then, transfer all the ingredients to a crock pot or slow cooker, and cook on low for four to six hours or high for two to three hours.
Is taco soup low-carb?
As it’s written, this recipe is relatively low-carb. However, if you want to make it even lower, feel free to omit the beans and any carb-heavy toppings.
How do I thicken taco soup?
This soup will thicken the longer it sits on the stove. Or, you can add an extra can of beans!
More Cozy Soup Recipes
One Pot Easy Taco Soup Recipe
- soup pot
- cutting board
- can opener
- wooden spoon
- 1 lb ground meat (turkey, beef, venison)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 2 cups frozen corn or 15 oz can, drained
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 15 oz can of beans, undrained I used an organic Tri-Bean Blend (kidney, black, and pinto beans) from Wal-Mart
- 2 cups water or bone broth
- 3 Tbsp homemade taco seasoning or 1 packet
- 3 Tbsp homemade ranch seasoning or 1 packet (RECIPE HERE)
- salt and pepper
- In a large pot, brown the meat. Then add in remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add more seasoning such as chili powder, cayenne, salt, or pepper, if needed. I've been known to stir in a generous drip of Frank's Hot Sauce to kick it up a notch!
- Top with plain Greek yogurt, shredded cheese, tortilla chips, avocado, or lime wedges!