It’s soup season.
When isn’t it soup season at our house? Ha!
Of course, soups are thought to be a seasonal dish, but we eat soups ALL. YEAR. LONG.
Because I want to. And my kids want to. So the decision is easy.
With that said, when the weather creeps over 80 degrees we naturally crave grilled foods over soup, but Split Pea Soup and this Taco Soup are still regulars in our menu rotation.
This particular soup recipe has been a popular dinner recipe in our home for almost 10 years now. My sweet friend, Ashlie, shared it with me when I was first married and I have been making it ever since. It has quickly become a favorite with my family and friends too which has led to my own sharing of this recipe.Healthy Taco Soup + Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix Recipes #cleaneating Click To Tweet
A few slight changes have been made over the years to “healthify” it like adding more vegetables and using my own homemade seasoning mixes.
You know me, it physically hurts to not throw in that lone zucchini on the counter. 😉
You can quickly throw this soup together when you return home from work in the evening or use your crock-pot like my friend, Ashlie. That way it is ready and waiting for you after a long day.
Call me crazy, but I feel like this needs to be said…
Don’t let the thought of homemade seasonings scare you off, store bought packets of ranch and taco seasoning are just fine. I made it like that for years and it was just as delicious!
But promise me you will give these homemade seasonings a chance sooner rather than later, okay?
5 Tbsp chili powder
4 Tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cayanne pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
Place all spices in a small jar. Tightly seal with a lid and shake shake shake (I’m channeling my inner Taylor Swift 😉 ). Store this seasoning for months in your pantry or cupboard!
Now let’s get you that soup recipe!
- 1 lb ground meat (turkey, beef, venison)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 2 cups frozen corn or 15 oz can
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 15 oz can of beans, undrained I used an organic Tri-Bean Blend (kidney, black, and pinto beans) from Wal-Mart
- 2 cups water
- 3 Tbsp homemade taco seasoning or 1 packet
- 3 Tbsp homemade ranch seasoning or 1 packet (RECIPE HERE)
- salt and pepper
- In a large pot, brown the meat. Add in remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes. Taste. Add more seasoning such as chili or cayanne powder, salt, or pepper if needed. I've been known to stir in a generous drip of Frank's Hot Sauce to kick it up a notch!
- Top with plain Greek yogurt, shredded cheese, tortilla chips, avocado, or lime wedges!