This high protein Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip is a balanced recipe that tastes amazing as an appetizer or meal!
If you are looking for a clean eating dip recipe for holidays, family get togethers, or game day aka Super Bowl this is the recipe for you!
I have been making a baked Buffalo Chicken Dip recipe for at least 15 years, but I knew it wasn’t something we should eat all the time.
That particular recipe was super high in fat and starches (carbs) due to the block of cream cheese and ranch dressing not to mention a gallon of shredded cheese. 😉
However, THIS recipe is full of protein (33 grams/serving!), minimal fat -9 grams (you actually NEED the tortilla chips for some added fat to stay full!), and very low carb (4 grams/serving!).
Hello balanced blood sugar and happy tummy!
This dip recipe is super balanced meaning it has the right ratio of protein (chicken, yogurt, cottage cheese), fats (cheese, chips), fiber (celery or other veggie dippers), and starch (chips are pulling double duty).
I was inspired to make this high protein recipe from Meredith at The Peachie Spoon. Her recipe on Instagram is absolutely delicious! “Groupie” may be a term I use to describe my relationship to Meredith. She has taught me so very much about how to nourish my body properly and feel my best!
The changes I made to her recipe are strictly because my family is so accustomed to the texture and flavors of our original recipe they have eaten for years. I wanted to see if I could take the bones of Meredith’s recipe and make it my own.
I am thrilled to report my family LOVES this recipe. My daughter, who can be a tough critic when I healthify her favorite recipes, said she prefers this healthier version to our old recipe. #momwin
Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip Ingredients
4 cups diced chicken breast (about 3 large breasts)
1 1/2 cups cottage cheese (I use nonfat)
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup Buffalo wing sauce (I use Frank’s Red Hot buffalo wing sauce)
2 Tbsp ranch seasoning mix
1 tsp sea salt
If I was the only one eating it, the cottage cheese curds wouldn’t bother me. But I knew for this dip to have a fighting chance with the fam, the cottage cheese had to be undetectable. 🙂
There are many delicious buffalo wing sauces, I have always used Frank’s RedHot Wings Buffalo sauce. It is in most grocery stores and easy to find.
I have been curious about Primal Kitchen’s Buffalo Sauce though.
This dip is naturally gluten free, however, I have never tried making it dairy free with vegan cream cheese or plant based yogurt. With that said, please let me know if you try it and the result. I think the end result will be just as delicious but I just haven’t had the chance to test it out.
All of the homemade buffalo chicken dip recipes I have made have been in the oven, but friends make them in the crockpot.
This recipe I am sure would lend well to the crockpot too, I just haven’t done it yet. 🙂
Our preferred dippers for this balanced dip are tortilla chips, celery sticks, carrots, and mini bell peppers. Sometimes I just eat it with a spoon straight out of the pan. It’s pretty irresistible!
Alright, let me show you how to make buffalo chicken dip! Happy eating!
Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 1 large bowl
- 1 spatula
- 1 cutting board
- 1 knife
- 1 8×8 baking pan
- 4 cups diced chicken breast (about 3 large chicken breasts)
- 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese (I use fat free)
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup buffalo wing sauce (I use Frank's RedHot buffalo wing sauce)
- 2 Tbsp ranch seasoning mix
- 1 tsp sea salt
- tortilla chips, celery sticks, carrots, and/or mini bell peppers for dippers
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Spray non-stick cooking spray in an 8×8 baking pan.
- Add cottage cheese and yogurt to Magic Bullet or food processor and blend until smooth. This step IS optional, but we prefer the dip to be smoother without the curds of cottage cheese.
- In a large bowl, add all ingredients EXCEPT 1/2 cup of shredded cheese. Mix well.
- Pour buffalo chicken dip mixture into greased pan. Top with remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until sides are bubbling and cheese in melted. You can broil for a couple minutes to brown the cheese on top.
- Store leftovers in refrigerator for a few days.