This Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe is a lightened-up version of everyone’s favorite game day recipe. Low-carb, high-protein, and gluten-free, this recipe is a crowd-pleasing appetizer or snack that pairs wonderfully with tortilla chips, veggies sticks, and all your favorite dippers!
The Best Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
Before this cottage cheese buffalo chicken dip, I had been making the classic recipe for my family for years. You know, the one loaded with cream cheese, Ranch dressing, and about a gallon of cheese.
It’s super tasty, but I knew it wasn’t a recipe my family should be eating all the time. That’s where this recipe comes in to save the day!
A clean eating version of the original, this dip has all the taste and texture you love. However, it’s a well-balanced option with the right ratio of protein, fats, and starch.
Even better, you can easily customize it to fit your dietary needs and flavor preferences. Serve it as an appetizer or snack on game day, or enjoy it as a complete meal!
What’s Makes This Easy Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe Healthy?
Of course, what’s considered healthy will vary from person to person. However, by my standards, this recipe is a far better option than traditional options. Here’s why:
- High-Protein – I substitute the cream cheese with a combination of cottage cheese and Greek yogurt. You get all the creamy goodness and a slight tang with added protein. Combined with the chicken, you get a total of 33 grams of protein per serving!
- Low-Carb – Without the tortilla chips, this recipe has four grams of carbohydrates per serving.
- Balanced Fats – In addition to swapping the cream cheese, I also replace the Ranch dressing with Ranch seasoning. The result is just nine grams of fat per serving. You can make it even lower by using fat-free cheese, yogurt, and cottage cheese!
Below is an overview of the ingredients and instructions. Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card below for the complete details and nutritional information!
- Chicken – Use diced or shredded cooked chicken breasts. If you’re in a pinch for time, canned chicken will also work. Just make sure to drain it well, and omit the additional salt!
- Cottage Cheese – I use fat-free but full-fat varieties will provide the richest flavor and creamiest consistency.
- Greek Yogurt – Again, I use non-fat but full-fat will provide yummy results too.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese – If possible, buy a block of cheddar, and grate it yourself. Pre-grated varieties have anti-caking agents that prevent them from melting completely!
- Buffalo Sauce – I use Frank’s red hot buffalo wing sauce, but any buffalo sauce you like best will taste great.
- Ranch Seasoning – Buy a packet from your local grocery store, or make your own Ranch seasoning.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Dip with Cottage Cheese
- Prepare. Before you begin, preheat your oven, and grease an 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Blend. Add the cottage cheese and yogurt to the bowl of a food processor or blender, and pulse until smooth. Technically, this step is optional. You could mix the ingredients by hand, but I prefer a smooth consistency.
- Mix. Add all the ingredient except part of the cheese to a large bowl, and mix to combine.
- Layer. Pour the chicken mixture into the prepared baking dish, spreading it out evenly. Then, sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Bake. Transfer the dish to the oven, and bake until the sides are bubbling and the cheese is melted. Then, broil just until the cheese is golden brown on top.
- Chicken – If you’re not a fan of chicken, feel free to use turkey instead. Or, omit it completely for a vegetarian recipe.
- Cheese – If you’re not a fan of cheddar, try mozzarella instead.
- Dairy-Free – Swap the dairy with your favorite plant-based brands. No one will even realize the recipe is dairy-free!
What Can I Use to Eat Buffalo Chicken Dip?
We love to serve this recipe with tortilla chips for dipping. However, it’s also great with carrots, celery sticks, bell peppers, or crackers.
Or, transform it into a complete meal by serving it with spaghetti squash, rice, baked potatoes, or fries!
Can I Make This Recipe Ahead of Time?
Yes! If you want to prepare in advance, combine all the ingredients, and layer them in a baking dish. Then, cover the mixture with foil, and refrigerate until you’re ready to bake.
To serve, let the dish come to room temperature. Then, bake according to the recipe instructions below.
How to Store and Reheat
Store leftover healthy buffalo chicken dip in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three to four days in the fridge. I don’t recommend freezing this recipe as the dairy won’t thaw well!
Reheat in the microwave until the cheese becomes melty. Or, transfer the baking dish back to the oven.
Can I Make Buffalo Chicken Dip in a Crockpot Instead?
Sure! Combine all the ingredients as normal, and set the crockpot to low heat until the cheese becomes melty. You won’t get the crisp, golden brown top, but the dip will still be tasty and great for feeding a crowd.
Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
- 1 large bowl
- 1 spatula
- 1 cutting board
- 1 knife
- 1 8×8 baking pan
- 4 cups diced chicken breast (about 3 large chicken breasts)
- 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese (I use fat free)
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt (I use non-fat)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup buffalo wing sauce (I use Frank's RedHot buffalo wing sauce)
- 2 Tablespoon ranch seasoning mix
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- tortilla chips, celery sticks, carrots, and/or mini bell peppers for dippers
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Spray an 8×8 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- (Optional) Add the cottage cheese and yogurt to a food processor and blend until smooth. (We prefer the dip to be smoother without the curds of cottage cheese, but completely optional.)1 1/2 cups cottage cheese (I use fat free), 1 cup plain Greek yogurt (I use non-fat)
- In a large bowl, add all ingredients EXCEPT 1/2 cup of shredded cheese. Mix well.4 cups diced chicken breast (about 3 large chicken breasts), 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided, 1/2 cup buffalo wing sauce (I use Frank's RedHot buffalo wing sauce), 2 Tablespoon ranch seasoning mix, 1 teaspoon sea salt, 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese (I use fat free)
- Pour buffalo chicken dip mixture into greased pan. Top with remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until sides are bubbling and cheese in melted. You can broil for a couple minutes to brown the cheese on top.
- Serve hot and store cooled leftovers in the refrigerator for a few days.tortilla chips, celery sticks, carrots, and/or mini bell peppers for dippers