If there is a holiday around the corner, you can bet I am thinking about what themed food I will make.
Memorial Day and July 4th are no exception.
This fun and patriotic Red, White, and Blue Slaw Salad is exactly what your BBQ needs!
As you search Pinterest for recipes with our country’s colors in mind, there are plenty of treats out there to choose from. You will find cakes, cookies, and trifles galore, but not nearly as many healthy recipes to choose from.
Being the queen of “healthified” recipes, I was determined to create a recipe that not only reminded me of our beautiful flag, but tasted incredible. When I think about celebrating our country’s freedom I instantly think about BBQs.
And BBQs call for coleslaw or better yet this slaw salad!
It will come as no surprise, I am a BIG fan of cabbage, the main ingredient in a slaw.
Anything with cabbage is A-okay with me.
My love for this vegetable only grows with the fact that it is so stinkin’ affordable. Being the frugal shopper that I am, I pick up a head every trip.
So let me tell you a little bit about this crowd-pleasing slaw salad! The blueberries, red bell pepper, and apple work perfectly for the color combination needed.
The tanginess of the homemade dressing pairs well with the sweetness of the bell pepper and tartness of the fruit.Bring this RED, WHITE & BLUE Slaw Salad to your next BBQ! #healthy #patriotic #salad #recipe Click To Tweet
You can make this salad the night before or the same day. Just be sure to allow the salad to refrigerate at least 2 hours so the dressing has enough time to marinate the slaw.
So tell me, do you enjoy preparing themed treats or recipes? Tell me all about them in the comments below!
Red, White, & Blue Slaw Salad
- 16 oz bag of coleslaw or 7 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 red bell pepper, julianned
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and chopped into matchsticks
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds for garnish
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise I use the brand, Just Mayo
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp honey I use raw local
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Add all ingredients except sliced almonds to a large bowl.
- Put all ingredients in a blender or Magic Bullet and blend until combined.
- Pour dressing over salad and gently mix. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow the flavors to mingle.
- Sprinkle the top of the salad with sliced almonds when ready to serve! Enjoy!