This recipe has been modified and updated from it’s original version.
Call me crazy, but this sort of recipe was completely new to me.
Mexican Cornbread Casserole?
What is that?
Lucky for me, a friend shared a version of this clean eating Mexican Cornbread Casserole with me and I knew you would love it too!
Once I recreated it with all the healthiest ingredients I knew I had to share it with you!
This recipe is definitely “healthified” from other versions floating around Pinterest.
Besides the fact that this meal is healthy and hearty, you will love how simple it is to assemble: cornbread layer, meat layer, and cheese. Viola!
The cornbread does not contain oil or refined sugar and still tastes like, yep you guessed it, real cornbread!
Greek yogurt and coconut sugar are amazing substitutes in many recipes including this one! I also used my Simply Homemade Gluten-Free Flour Blend instead of whole wheat flour. If you are not gluten free, feel free to substitute whole wheat flour!Clean Eating Mexican Cornbread Casserole #healthy #family #dinner Click To Tweet
If you are curious about the corn and black beans in this recipe, know they are optional ingredients. I choose to add those two ingredients when I need to stretch the meal further. If you are feeding more than 5 hungry mouths I would add them!
As a family of 4, we can easily have this Mexican Cornbread as dinner for two nights. Score!
The less work I have to do each night for dinner is a win in my book! I typically serve this with veggies and dip or a salad. Chips and salsa are also a great addition! My favorite brand are Beanitos! They are made from beans, super duper healthy and DELISH!
If you would like to make this healthy casserole dairy free, omit the shredded cheese and use oil in place of the plain Greek yogurt.
Okay, onto this clean eating Mexican Cornbread Casserole recipe…it’s a keeper! Enjoy friends!
Mexican Cornbread Casserole
- 9x13 pan
- 16 oz ground turkey, beef, buffalo, or venison
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 tsp ground chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup Salsa
- 2 cups baby spinach
- *optional add-ins: 1 cup of corn and 1 can black beans. drained and rinsed
- 34 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup plain unsweetened almond milk
- 3/4 cup gluten-free flour blend G&S GF Flour Blend
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Brown ground turkey with diced onion and bell pepper. Once browned mix in chili powder, cumin, and salt and pepper. *You will want to add in corn and black beans now.
- Next, add in salsa and baby spinach. Cook until spinach is wilted. Set aside for now.
- In a medium bowl, mix all cornbread ingredients. Pour into a greased 9x13 glass pan.
- Top cornbread batter with meat/veggie mixture. Sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese.
- Bake at 400F for 30 minutes or until cheese in melted and cornbread is baked. Top with Greek yogurt, salsa, olives, or avocado!