Oh cornbread. I love you. Like really love you.
This Healthy Pumpkin Cornbread is gluten free, dairy free and will have you swooning!
If you have been following this blog for any amount of time, you know I love me some cornbread. 😉
This recipe is just another ode to my love for this comforting side dish.
Healthifying dishes is my specialty and this autumnal recipe is no exception. With the addition of pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice, this healthy pumpkin cornbread will quickly become your go-to when a pot of chili is on the stove.
Speaking of chili, have you checked out this healthy pumpkin chili? It is oh-so good especially when it’s paired with this cornbread.#glutenfree & #cleaneating Pumpkin Cornbread for #fall! #healthy #sidedish #dairyfree Click To Tweet
Whether you make your own pumpkin puree or purchase the canned variety, it makes no difference in this recipe. This cornbread tastes just like regular cornbread with a hint of fall flavor.
The pumpkin pie spice is oh-so-divine and not overpowering.
If you are using canned pumpkin, you may be annoyed that this recipe does not use the entire can. Well, by all means use the whole can! 🙂
Double the recipe and Viola! you have a 9×13 pan of autumn deliciousness.
You will probably want a double portion of this recipe anyhow!
Are you wondering what makes this recipe healthier than regular cornbread? For starters, this recipe uses maple syrup not white sugar and butter (or coconut oil which is dairy free) in place of vegetable oil. Plus, pumpkin puree!
Pumpkin is a great source of Vitamin A & C and fiber.
We are just boosting the nutritional content left and right with this one!
I used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Flour Blend, but any gluten-free blend whether it is store bought or homemade will work well. If you have no need to prepare this recipe gluten-free , use regular wheat flour.
Okay, onto the recipe!! Happy Fall, my friends, and enjoy this warm and healthy pumpkin cornbread.
- large bowl
- medium bowl
- 8x8 pan
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup gluten-free flour blend or whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted or melted butter
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spray an 8x8 pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together dry ingredients.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, whisk together wet ingredients. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Top each piece with butter, maple syrup, or honey.