By: Sammi Ricke
I hate it when I forget about a recipe I genuinely like! You know what I mean? When an amazing recipe you have made a few times just gets lost throughout the years in all the recipes you have in your recipe book or, ahem, drawer of recipe print outs. This Veggie-Packed Chicken Teriyaki is one of those!
It has taken my amazing sister-in-law, Jacque, to remind of this recipe time and time again. I am so glad we are BFFs as well as sister-in-laws because we talk food ALL THE TIME! It’s fabulous!
The thing about this recipe is it is so stinkin’ flavorful! The sweetness, spiciness, and savory flavors hit every single taste bud.
In case you haven’t noticed from previous recipes, I have a slight obsession with coconut sugar. So…obviously, it is in this recipe! But if you don’t have coconut sugar in your house, any old sweetener will do. My only disclaimer is: Don’t be surprised when the leftovers are not as pretty the next day. Unfortunately, the veggies lose their vibrant colors, but it still tastes amazing don’t worry!
Feel free to use any variety of frozen vegetables you have on hand or in your local grocery store. I have used several different kinds and the dish has always turned out delicious.
I usually eat this by itself in a HUGE bowl. I mean it is pretty much veggies and protein. I see no problem in eating my fair share 😉 It would be crazy not too, right? For the rest of my family, I make some pasta, rice, or quinoa (this is the one I used and it is pictured in the main image) to put under the chicken and veggies. The pasta and rice soak up the extra teriyaki sauce…YUM!
Veggie-Packed Chicken Teriyaki
- 3-4 chicken breasts
- 2 16oz Asian or Stir Fry frozen vegetables
- salt and pepper
- rice, pasta, or quinoa optional
Teriyaki Sauce Ingredients
- 1/2 cup soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar Here is a great option!
- 1 Tbsp ground ginger powder
- 1 Tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1/8 (just a little pinch) red pepper flakes
- (If you are making rice to eat with this dish, you will want to start it now!)
- Heat large pot to medium-high heat. Spray bottom of pot with non-stick extra virgin olive oil spray. Brown chicken until completely cooked through. Remove chicken from pot and set aside. After the chicken has rested 10 minutes, chop into bite-sized pieces.
- (If you are eating this dish with pasta or quinoa you will want to start boiling the water now.)
- In a small sauce pan, whisk together all teriyaki sauce ingredients. Then heat the pan over medium-low heat 5-8 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened. Not quite as thick as gravy. Take off heat and set aside.
- In the large pot you browned the chicken in, heat it again to medium-high again. Pour in both bags of frozen vegetables. and let them soften and cook. Season with salt and pepper and don't be afraid to add a little extra virgin olive oil if the veggies start sticking to the bottom of the pot. Once the veggies have turned a vibrant color they are done cooking! Turn off the burner.
- Now add in the cooked chicken pieces and teriyaki sauce. Gently stir to combine all ingredients. Voila! You are done and ready to eat.