Easy Gluten Free Chocolate Waffles…
Breakfast? Dessert? Snack?
Yes, yes and yes!
This simple waffle recipe is indulgent, yet surprisingly light and healthy. I’m going to level with you…I have no idea how these dairy free waffles taste so delightful without oil or butter.
Honestly, I didn’t think they would even taste good.
Jokes on me because they are delicious. 🙂
Want to know one of the best parts about this recipe?
The smell of chocolate as they bake in your waffle iron!
Wooo-eeee it is DIVINE!
Healthy Gluten Free Chocolate Waffles Ingredients
1.5 cups plain unsweetened almond milk
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
1 cup gluten-free flour or whole wheat flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/3 cup coconut sugar
2 tsp baking powder
dash of salt
And if these waffles aren’t meant to be a snack then one should really evaluate the way they live life. LOL
They are such a perfect afternoon pick-me-up when you add plain Greek yogurt, berries, banana slices, and a little drizzle of maple syrup.
When serving these as a fun dessert, I would add chocolate syrup, chocolate chips, and whipped cream.
Too much chocolate? NEVER!
These Easy Gluten Free Chocolate Waffles can be prepared with either a gluten-free flour blend or whole wheat flour. I’ve used both and the waffles turn out great each time. This recipe is super versatile!
Along with the flour, you can substitute the coconut sugar with any sugar you have on hand.
The choice of milk is also up to you. I always have plain unsweetened almond milk on hand, but vanilla almond milk, coconut milk, cows milk, seriously whatever milk you have is fine. 🙂
The original recipe calls for only vanilla extract, but I LOVE adding a little almond extract to baked goods because it always amplifies the flavor a pinch.
Plus, whenever I think of almond extract, I think of my cake and cake always makes me happy. 😉
With that said, if you don’t have almond extract, just add in an additional 1/2 tsp vanilla extract in it’s place!
Lastly, this gluten free waffles recipe feeds 2-3 people, but is simple to double for a family of 4. Or triple for a family of 6-7!
Okay, my friends, enough talking. Let’s get you the recipe! ENJOY!
Easy Gluten-Free Chocolate Waffles
- 1.5 cups plain unsweetened almond milk
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup gluten-free flour or whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- dash of salt
- Preheat waffle maker on medium heat. (My waffle maker has settings from 1-5. I set the temp to 3.)
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients (milk, eggs, vanilla, and almond extract).
- Then add dry ingredients (flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, and salt). Whisk together until combined.
- Spray the waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray. Pour batter into waffle iron, close lid, and allow to bake for several minutes. The waffles are typically done when the waffle maker is no longer steaming and waffles are not soggy or wet to the touch. They should be firm and dry.
- Top waffles with fresh fruit, frozen fruit made into a compote, Greek yogurt, maple syrup, whipped cream, chocolate chips, or powdered sugar. There's no wrong way to eat them! Store leftovers in the fridge and reheat as necessary.