When I say I have been enjoying this Gluten-Free Cowboy Bread my whole life I am not exaggerating.
Yep, 33 years and counting!
It was love at first bite, what can I say? 🙂
This is my mom’s favorite breakfast to bake for special occasions-birthdays, holidays, or when company is in town. She always doubles the recipe because the leftovers are awesome (of course!) and typically she is feeding a crowd.
Her original recipe is not gluten-free and uses white and brown sugar. Believe me, there are not complaints from my end! It’s delish!
However, I wanted to create a little healthier version…like a pinch healthier. Ha!
This Gluten-Free Cowboy Bread is not considered healthy or clean eating, but everything in moderation, right?
Oh moderation…you are a tricky business when it comes to food. Anywhooooo…
Besides eating this delightful breakfast, one of my favorite aspects is the smell while it’s baking. Yum yum yum!
That sweet bread smell wafting through the house always make my heart happy.
I know not all of you are gluten-free and maybe don’t have coconut sugar on hand so I am sharing my mom’s original recipe with you as well!
My Mom’s Cowboy Bread
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp butter, softened
3/4 cup milk
1 2/3 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
Pinch of salt
In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Then stir in egg and milk until well combined. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Add dry ingredients to wet and mix until just combined. Pour into a greased 8×8 pan.
1/8 cup white sugar
1/8 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 Tbsp butter, melted
Mix all topping ingredients together in a bowl and pour over batter.
Bake at 400F for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
***My mom usually doubles this recipe and bakes it in a 9×13 glass or ceramic pan. This recipe (not doubled) feeds 4 people, doubled will easily feed 8.
Without further adieu, below is the gluten-free version. No matter what, you can’t go wrong with either recipe!
Gluten-Free Cowboy Bread
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 3 Tbsp butter, melted
- 2 tsp water
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375F. Spray an 8x8 pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together coconut sugar, melted butter, almond milk, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Next, gently mix in gluten-free flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Pour batter into greased pan.
- Mix together topping ingredients and pour or drop by spoonfuls over the pan of batter. Take a knife and swirl it through the batter (not too much!) to create a marbled effect. <---This is what makes the pockets of sugary deliciousness within the bread.
- Bake at 375F for 40-45 min or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool for 15 minutes and serve topped with butter!