Another day, another coffee cake.
Today happens to be Raspberry Coffee Cake.
And of course it is delightful. AND it just happens to be gluten free and dairy free too!
At this point, it’s safe to say I am officially obsessed with fruit in coffee cake. Ha!
We have the beautiful Strawberry Coffee Cake that uses coconut sugar in place of regular sugar.
And let’s not forgot the luscious Blueberry Coffee Cake that is allergen friendly and uses monk fruit sweetener.
There is no wrong choice. You literally can’t go wrong with any of these yummy breakfast cakes.
However, my family has officially decided that this Raspberry Coffee Cake literally takes the cake. It’s our favorite so far.
My brother-in-law happens to agree too so it’s decided. 😉
How do you make a coffee cake with fruit? Well, you simply layer berries on top of the batter and then sprinkle a generous and I mean a VERY generous amount of crumble on top.
Raspberry Coffee Cake Recipe Ingredients
1 cup gluten free flour ( I use Bob’s Red Mill 1-1 Mix)
1/2 cup monk fruit sweetener (or whatever sugar you prefer)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
2 Tbsp plant based melted butter or healthy oil
2 cups raspberries
1/2 cup gluten free flour
1/2 cup white sugar or monk fruit sweetener (I prefer white because the crumble turns out more crumbly than crust-like)
1/4 cup cold plant based butter
As mentioned, you can make this entire cake sugar free with monk fruit sweetener, but I prefer to use monk fruit sweetener in the cake and use regular white sugar in the topping.
I have found that using all monk fruit sweetener in the topping resulted in a harder crust-like topping instead of a loose crumble topping.
BTW, I actually used raspberries for the first time in this dairy free coffee cake recipe for my sister’s 30th birthday breakfast and oh man was it a hit!
If you want to impress Mom, Dad, friends, or neighbors make this gluten free coffee cake! If you aren’t gluten free use regular flour as well as cow’s milk and regular butter if you aren’t dairy free.
This cake is even yummy the next day as leftovers though fresh out of the oven is hard to beat!
Raspberry Coffee Cake
- 2 medium sized bowls
- 1 whisk
- 1 rubber spatula
- 1 pastry cutter or fork
- 1 8×8 pan
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- 1/2 cup monk fruit sweetener
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 Tbsp oil or melted plant based butter
- 2 cups raspberries
- 1/2 cup gluten free flour
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 1/2 cup white sugar or monk fruit (See notes as to why I prefer regular sugar in the topping)
- 1/4 cup cold plant based butter
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray non-stick cooking spray in an 8×8 glass pan. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the dry cake ingredients: gluten free flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill 1-1 Mix), monk fruit sweetener, baking powder, and salt.
- In the same bowl, add in milk, oil, and eggs. You can over mix the batter to produce a better cake texture once baked. (If you have time, you can let the batter rest for at least 1/2 hour or longer before baking.<—Gluten free baking hack!)
- Pour the cake mixture into the greased pan then top with the raspberries.
- In a small bowl, add all the topping ingredients and mix together until a crumbly texture forms. I use a pastry cutter to "cut in" the butter. Pour all of the crumb topping over the raspberries and smooth until level.
- Bake for 1 hour uncovered or until the cake is fluffy and a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake. If in doubt, bake another 10 minutes. It is hard to over bake this gluten free coffee cake.
- Serve warm and enjoy!