This has been a favorite recipe in our home for a while now.
However, we either eat this Low Carb Pizza Chicken all the stinkin’ time or forget about it for a year.
I’m still pondering how we forget about it, but I am blaming Pinterest. There are just too many new recipe ideas and too little time. Ha!
To say this recipe is simple is an understatement. You basically need just a few ingredients, a 9×13 pan, and an oven.
Boom. Dinner’s done.
We like this gluten free pizza chicken best with the chicken breast pounded a little bit thinner than they come in the package. For great reason, I will add. The flatter and thinner the chicken, the more toppings.
More toppings = More yumminess 😉
You can place saran wrap over your chicken breasts and lightly beat the chicken with a saute pan or rolling pin until you have flattened it to the desired thickness.
And don’t forget to season, season, season with the Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. I honestly, have never over-seasoned or over-salted this healthy pizza chicken recipe. So be generous!
Try using a mix of mozzarella and sharp cheddar cheese with this Low Carb Pizza Chicken.
Not only will the finished dish look prettier with more color, but the contrast of creamy mozzarella and sharpness of the cheddar is dynamite.
The type of pepperoni you use is completely up to you!
We prefer turkey pepperoni, but regular is fine too. I often double stack it on the chicken “pizzas” because you can never have too much pepperoni.
Am I right?
Side note: My kids eat turkey pepperoni like it’s going out of style. They pack it in their lunches with cheese, crackers, and a healthy fruit.
You will see that there is still low carb pizza sauce leftover after you prepare the recipe. Go ahead and pour it into a few shallow little bowls and serve alongside your finished recipe.
Dipping the pizza chicken in the sauce is like the cherry on top of this delightful and healthy recipe!
*Update: Our newest little one does not tolerate dairy so we have started using plant based shredded cheese. I am sure it would work well in this recipe to make it dairy free! I’m sure we will be trying it soon. 🙂
Low Carb Pizza Chicken
- 9x13 pan
- plastic wrap
- rolling pin
- 4 chicken breasts pounded thinner with pan or rolling pin
- 1 14 oz jar pizza sauce
- 1 bag turkey pepperoni
- Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese or plant based mozzarella shreds
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese or plant based cheddar shreds
- Preheat oven to 400F. Spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Trim fat and undesirable pieces from 4 chicken breasts on a cutting board. Then cover chicken with saran wrap and pound thinner with rolling pin or saute pan until desired thickness.
- Place chicken breasts in pan and generously season both sides with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. It's difficult to over-season this chicken so add more spices than "feel comfortable".
- After seasoning, sprinkle 1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese over each chicken breast. Then pour pizza sauce over the cheese until it covers the entire breast.
- Next, sprinkle 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese over the sauce. Now, layer pepperoni on top. Overlap the pepperoni as much as you can. The more the better! *Use as much or as little cheese as you prefer!
- Finish each pizza chicken with more shredded cheese or grated Parmesan, if desired. Sprinkle more Italian seasoning on top and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- The Pizza Chicken is done when the juices of chicken run clear and the cheese is completely melted. When serving, pour the leftover pizza sauce into a few small bowls and dip your pieces of chicken in it.