Do you know what makes strawberry shortcake even better? LEMON! These Lemon Strawberry Shortcakes are revolutionary!
And get this, the “shortcake” is actually lemon shortbread cookies! Yep, cookies!
I have used several different brands of almond flour, but Amoretti nut flours are by far my favorite in this cookie. Their natural nut flours are silky smooth, superfine, and never need sifting! They produce a really tender cookie.
You can save 15% on your first order using “HAPPIHOMEMADE15” at checkout. 🙂
I think these cookies are best enjoyed the same day you bake them, but I have eaten them days later and they were still yummy.
The recipe makes eight – 2 1/2 inch cookies. You will use two of them to assemble your Lemon Strawberry Shortcakes.
Could I have used 1 cookie for each shortcake?
Yes…but 2 is always better than one. Woot woot!
Coconut milk whipped cream can be found at your local grocery store or you can make your own with chilled canned full fat coconut milk (light coconut milk will not work). The coconut cream will separate from the coconut water. You can save the coconut water for smoothies! You can find the full instructions to make coconut milk whipped cream in this Dairy Free Patriotic Shortcake.
It’s apparent that I have a love for shortcake. 😉
As you can see, these Lemon Strawberry Shortcakes are EPIC! You will absolutely love them and so will your guests. If you have family or friends that deal with food allergies like gluten intolerance, lactose intolerance, or have chosen to be vegan this is the perfect dessert.
Who’s ready to try these delightful Lemon Strawberry Shortcakes? Okay! Let’s get you the recipe!
Lemon Strawberry Shortcakes
- baking sheet
- medium sized bowl
Lemon Shortbread Cookies
- 2 cups almond flour
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp plant based butter, melted
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 lemon, zested
Lemon Strawberry Shortcake
- 16 oz fresh strawberries, sliced
- 2 cups coconut milk whipped cream or 6oz can of whipped cream
Lemon Shortbread Cookies
- Preheat oven to 325F. Mix all ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl.
- Using a cookie dough scoop or a spoon measure out 2 Tbsp of dough.
- Flatten each dough ball with the bottom of a drinking glass sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. The cookies will not rise or spread much. (You should end up with 8- 2 1/2” cookies)
- Bake until you touch the top and it’s dry and set or about 13 minutes. They will not be browned.
- Leave on cookie sheet for 10 min and remove to cooling rack.
- Place 1 cookie on plate.
- Add a dollop of coconut milk whipped cream (or regular whipped cream if not dairy free).
- Add sliced strawberries on top of the whipped cream.
- Repeat steps 1-3 and enjoy! (Optional: Sprinkle with additional lemon zest!)