These Gluten Free Carrot Cake Jars has been in the making for over a year.
I knew after posting a photo of this cute cake in a jar on Instagram and ALL the recipe requests that flooded in, I had to get it posted.
…And then I didn’t. Ha!
This easy and delicious carrot cake is made with gluten-free flour, but regular flour can be substituted.
There are very minimal ingredients in this recipe and I love that all of them are relatively healthy.
Coconut sugar, coconut oil, eggs, 2 cups of shredded carrots, and a few simple spices are all you need.
Although every ingredient in the cake is fairly healthy, the frosting recipe is not.
However, I decided to use it because, well, I like it and it tastes ahhhhmazing. 😉
You can use any frosting recipe you choose, though, or omit it all together. I topped the cakes with cream cheese frosting and sprinkled the jars with either cinnamon, course sanding sugar (this is the brand I use), or chopped pecans.
I’m sure this dairy free cake batter can be used in any cake pan, but cakes in mason jars are just too cute so I use jars. Depending on who you are serving this recipe to will determine what size jars you use.
I typically use both the 4 oz and 8 oz jars when I bake these cakes. The 4 oz jars are perfect smaller portions for kids or those that want a sweet treat, but only a small amount.
Eating the cake and frosting from an 8 oz jar is my favorite portion size for good reason.
It’s super satisfying and filling like a typical slice of cake. Yum!
So are you all so happy to have this recipe just in time for, ummmm, tomorrow? These cutie pie cake jars don’t need a special occasion like Easter or a birthday to be enjoyed.
Bake them just because it is Tuesday. 😉
Gluten Free Carrot Cake Jars
- mason jars
- rubber spatula
- baking sheet
- 1 1/4 cups coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 cups grated carrot, lightly packed
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spray generously the inside of 12- 4 oz mason jars or 6- 8 oz mason jars. The 4 oz is great for kids and/or portion control and the 8 oz jars are more like a portion of a typical slice of cake.
- Place greased mason jars on a rimmed baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, whisk together coconut sugar, melted coconut oil, shredded carrots, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, and ginger.
- Next add in flour, baking powder and baking soda and stir until combined.
- Pour batter into each mason jar until it is 2/3 full. The batter should not come up to the neck of the jar. Don’t overfill the jars, otherwise, the batter will overflow.
- Bake 25 minutes for 4 oz jars and 30 min for 8 oz jars or until golden brown and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Remove jars from oven and let cool. Once cooled, frost cakes with cream cheese frosting (recipe below) or frosting of choice.