I am not a caterer. However, I have catered 1 party. And that party totally counts because it wasn’t family!
I created this simple 5 Ingredient Fresh Fruit Salad recipe for my friend, Jana.
She asked if I would “cater” her father’s 75th birthday party.
My first thought was to decline, giving her a million excuses why I couldn’t. It’s one thing to plan the food for a family party, but for complete strangers…the pressure!
However, by the end of the conversation, I was excited to give it a shot!
Along with the salads, I was to bring the smoked briskets, make the crock-pot macaroni, bake the rolls, and throw the already prepared twice-baked potatoes in the oven to finish off.
Lastly, she needed me to bring the prepared food and serve it to her 25 guests! Easy peasy, right?
Turns out it was a lot of prep work, but it was a fun day full of delicious food and fantastic people.
I would definitely do it again if my phone rings again for this sort of catering job!
This fun 5 Ingredient Fresh Fruit Salad recipe that is gluten free, dairy free, and obviously vegan and vegetarian.
I knew I wanted a bright, colorful salad with a few cute cutouts of melon like you see in the photos. If you don’t have mini vegetable or fruit cutters (think mini cookie cutters) you really need to get some! I use my Pampered Chef set all.the.time. .
They are the perfect kitchen gadget for fruit, cheese, meat, and vegetable, trays. I use a set from Pampered Chef, but this set from Amazon is similar!
If you are curious why I didn’t add a sauce to this salad, truth be told, I rarely ever add a sauce to my fruit salads.
Though sauces are great, just like this other fruit salad recipe I created, I prefer to keep it simple.
Simple and delicious 5-Ingredient Fresh Fruit Salad to feed a crowd! Click To Tweet
So if you signed up to bring fruit to your child’s teacher appreciation luncheon or just want a bowl of fruit in the fridge to snack on all week you need to try this simple recipe. Enjoy!
Simple 5 Ingredient Fruit Salad
- large bowl
- cutting board
- 6 cups watermelon, peeled and cubed (1/2 watermelon)
- 4 cups cantelope, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups green grapes, washed
- 2 cups blueberries, washed
- 2 20 oz cans pineapple chunks (drained) or 3 cups fresh pineapple chunks
- Remove watermelon and cantelope rinds. Cut into cubes (chunks). Add to a large bowl.
- Add in pineapple chunks, grapes, and blueberries. Gently stir until all the fruit is distributed evenly. Serve immediately or store in refrigerator.
- (Optional) Use mini cookie cutters to create cute shapes from the melon to place on top of the finished salad!