This Pumpkin Protein Cake for One will be your go-to fall breakfast but it also doubles as a delicious dessert!
In all honesty, I have eaten this protein-packed recipe for lunch too. It’s that GOOD!
Pumpkin puree, vanilla protein powder (whey or plant-based), and eggs will keep your tummy full for at least 3-4 hours.
This dairy free cake is fluffy, full of healthful ingredients, and easy peasy to make on a slow morning.
I usually top mine with Lily’s Salted Caramel Chocolate Chips after the cake has baked.
The chocolate chips are melty and the perfect icing on the cake, so to speak. I have also put chunks of a dark chocolate bar on top and it’s divine!
Coconut whipped cream is also a nice addition if you are feeling a little extra. 😉 If you are enjoying this as a dessert, the whipped cream isn’t optional. It’s a necessity! (I usually buy a can of coconut milk whipped cream at Wal-Mart.)
Pumpkin Protein Cake Ingredient List
1/3 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup vanilla protein powder (I use Orgain Organic Vanilla Bean Protein Powder)
1 Tbsp coconut flour
1 egg white or 2 Tbsp egg whites
2 tsp oil (avocado, coconut, or extra virgin olive oil)
2 tsp monk fruit sweetener
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 Tbsp Lily’s salted caramel chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips
You can bake this cake in any oven safe skillet or pan. I use a 6″ enameled cast iron skillet from Hearth & Hand (Johanna Gaines!) and it works like a charm. Here is a similar pan.
30 grams of protein is what I aim for at each meal and this fits the bill. I usually add collagen to my coffee so that bumps me up to 40 grams.
This cake was inspired by Meredith at The Peachie Spoon. She has helped me learn how important protein is at every single meal. If I don’t have at least 30 grams of protein and a healthy fat source at each meal I am hungry an hour or two later.
If I have enough protein, an appropriate amount of fat, fiber, and a little starch at each meal I am satisfied and not hungry for at least 3-4 hours, sometimes 5 hours! This is what eating balanced meals look like and it has been life changing for me. I am no longer snacking between meals (most days) and not constantly hungry from restricting calories.
So if you are looking for a satisfying meal option this healthy Pumpkin Protein Cake is for you!
Did I mention this gluten free cake is like so. incredibly. yummy?! You’ll love it!
PS…If I do get snacky between meals, I grab a Built bar. They are a balanced bar packed with protein and taste just like a Three Muskateers candy bar. My favorite flavors are cookie dough, double chocolate, and salted caramel. Use “HappiHomemade” at checkout to save money on every order. 🙂
Pumpkin Protein Cake
- bowl bowl
- rubber spatula
- small cast iron pan or an oven safe baking dish
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup vanilla protein powder
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white or 2 Tbsp egg whites
- 1 Tbsp coconut flour
- 2 tsp monk fruit sweetener
- 2 tsp oil (coconut, avocado, or EVOO)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 Tbsp Lily's Salted Caramel Chocolate Chips or dark chocolate chips
- coconut whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Spray non-stick cooking spray into a 6" diameter round glazed cast iron pan or any oven safe skillet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all cake ingredients until the batter is smooth.
- Pour batter into greased pan and bake for 25 minutes. Be careful to not overbake or the cake will be dry. The top should be set and the edges a golden brown.
- Remove the cake from the oven and promptly place the chocolate chips on top. Allow cake to cool for 10-15 minutes before you start eating. Top with whipped cream, if desired. Enjoy!