Are you ready for a Meatless Monday recipe that fills you up?
You won’t even miss the meat with this Vegetarian Moroccan Chickpea Stew!
The colors are vibrant and the flavors are bold in this thick stew.
What are you waiting for? Let’s get cooking!
This vegetarian recipe is full of flavor and a perfect dish to share with others. The flavors are bold and unique yet not overpowering for children at the table who prefer a more traditional American cuisine.
Don’t be scared away by the lengthy list of ingredients, this stew really comes together quickly!
We love the fact that this Vegetarian Moroccan Chickpea Stew recipe is packed full of protein, and leaves your stomach feeling full and satisfied. The red lentils and chickpeas have enough protein along with all the vegetables to fill you up.
Let’s face it, meat can be really expensive so to have an option once or twice a week that doesn’t contain it can be helpful to your grocery budget.
Lately, I have been eating this plant based stew with Crunchmaster crackers! They are gluten-free and full of healthy seeds and very minimal ingredient list. They have a variety of flavors and I haven’t found one yet that I dislike!
Like I stated before, this vegan stew recipe looks complicated, but it really is simple to prepare. My advice would be to give yourself enough time to “mise en place” before you need to get the stew on the stove. Or better yet, do all of your vegetable chopping the night before and have it ready and waiting for you!
I often prep parts of recipes hours or days before meal time to save my sanity and make dinner time more relaxed and enjoyable for me. With that said, I would greatly encourage you to do this during the holidays each year. Trust me, it’s a game changer. 🙂
Now onto the amazing Vegetarian Moroccan Chickpea Stew recipe….
Moroccan-Inspired Chickpea Stew
- cutting board
- large pot
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 2 large celery chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp oil grapeseed, olive, or avocado
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 32 oz box vegetable stock
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 15 oz cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans) rinsed
Moroccan Spice Blend
- 1 Tbsp ground tumeric
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground paprika
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
Optional Ingredients (But Not Really. Ha!)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes quartered
- 2 cups greens (spinach or chard) roughly chopped
- Saute the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic in butter until softened.
- Add tomato sauce, 2 cups vegetable broth and lentils then simmer with lid on until lentils are soft and begin to thicken the broth. Most of the liquid will be absorbed and the mixture will be thick. Usually takes about 20 minutes.
- Now add in the remaining 2 cups vegetable broth and chickpeas. Simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
- Add all spices including salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute.
- Lastly, add cherry tomatoes, chopped greens and any additional salt and pepper if needed. Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes before you serve.