Well Campbell’s soup has done it again.
While watching television the other night, a commercial was shown of an absolutely delicious melty oooey-gooey grilled cheese sandwich being dipped in their canned tomato soup.
All of us watching quickly decided we were all craving grilled cheese and tomato soup!
That mouth watering commercial quickly reminded me of a simple soup I had experimented with last year. Of course, the recipe has sat on my phone/computer/recipe folder for months and months waiting for me to photograph it. 🙂
This Creamy Tomato Basil Soup uses canned whole tomatoes and fire roasted tomatoes.
You can use fresh too if you have them! Just blanch the tomatoes and remove the skin.
This soup can quickly come together after a busy work day or you can make it ahead of time.
Consequently, this soup keeps well in the fridge if you want to meal prep and prepare this soup days ahead.
We did not end up serving this soup with grilled cheese, but sub sandwiches instead.
Brady loves to write out a menu, make copies, and then hand them out to each of us. We then circle the items we would like on our sub sandwiches and he makes them.
I have a feeling he may work at Jimmy Johns or something of the like when he is older. 😉
This Creamy Tomato Basil Soup is packed with flavor and makes the house smell so wonderful as it simmers.
The freshness of the basil is EVERYTHING.
Though this healthy and gluten free recipe uses canned tomatoes, it tastes fresh and comforting on those chilly fall days.
Not that this soup should only be made in the cooler months, it’s always soup weather if you ask me!
Summer lunches with fresh soup and grilled cheese are a familiar sight in our house.
Alright, let’s get you the recipe. I am so excited for you to enjoy a warm bowl today!
Creamy Tomato Basil SoupCourse: Dinner, Lunch
4 tablespoons butter
1 large chopped onion
3 oz tomato paste
4 cups chicken stock
28 oz can whole tomatoes
28 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
1 tsp garlic powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
5 large fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
1 cup half and half
additional salt, to taste
- In a soup pot, sauté onions in 4 Tbsp butter over medium heat until translucent. Stir in tomato paste and cook while stirring until it starts to brown about 3-5 minutes.
- Pour in 4 cups chicken stock and scrape the bottom of the pot with your wooden spatula to remove any caramelized brown bits (brown bits=flavor!).
- Add all cans of tomatoes, including juices, garlic powder and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, covered. Then turn burner off.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup right in the pot, or once the soup is not hot*, transfer the soup in batches to a blender or food processor to puree. *Do not ever add hot liquids to a blender or food processor as it will expand and possibly explode all over kitchen. #nightmare
- After mixture is pureed, add in chopped basil and half and half. Pulse a few times to incorporate. Add in additional salt to taste. Enjoy!
- This recipe was inspired by Tara at https://unsophisticook.com/tomato-basil-soup/. Be sure to check out the rest of her recipes too! They are delish. 🙂