This Cabbage Roll Lasagna is full of whole food ingredients and delicious too!
To any of you that think this “healthified” lasagna recipe isn’t for you.
You are wrong. There is no way around it.
You can tell me it isn’t for you AFTER you try it.
Then and ONLY then will I entertain the thought that this recipe “isn’t for you”! 😉
I am SO excited to finally share this recipe with you all! Sarah Koontz is the inspiration behind this Cabbag Roll Lasagna. She made it. Loved it. And NEEDED me to make it!
The two months leading up to me making this recipe, Sarah must have asked me 59,000 times if I had tried it yet and what my thoughts were. Finally, I prepared it. Holy guacamole! No wonder she was on my case, it was AMAZING!
This simple and super healthy fake out lasagna is PACKED and I mean PACKED with flavor and so filling. Just as filling as a typical lasagna. Honestly!
If you are looking at the list of ingredients and recipe steps for this Cabbage Roll Lasagna and feeling overwhelmed let me help.
Blanch your cabbage the day before and store in the fridge. blanching the cabbage is THE SECRET to this fake out lasagna. It takes the bite out of the cabbage and leaves you not missing typical noodles at all!
Store a few pounds of browned ground meat IN YOUR FREEZER for recipes such as this. (Just saute the onion and garlic in your pan before you add in the thawed browned meat.)
Use leftover rice or prepare the rice days before and STORE IN THE FRIDGE.
With these shortcuts you will have your gluten free lasagna oven-ready in a snap!
Pin THIS Image!
Now without further adieu, here is the delicious Cabbage Roll Lasagna recipe!
Cabbage Roll Lasagna
- 8x8 pan
- large soup pot
- wooden spoon
- cutting board
- 2 lbs cabbage, 1 head of cabbage or 1/2 of a large one
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey or any ground meat will work
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder or 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15oz) petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsp Italian seasoning spice blend
- 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheeseor cheese of choice
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a glass 8x8 or 2 qt casserole dish lightly with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
Cabbage Layer (Noodles, if you will)
- Start boiling a large pot of water. While your water heats, roughly chop the cabbage into 2 inch x 2 inch pieces. Blanch it in boiling water for 4 minutes. Then drain and rinse cabbage in cold water to stop the cooking process. Place the blanched and cooled cabbage on a kitchen towel to dry further while you prepare the meat filling.
Meat & Rice Filling
- Heat a pan on medium-high heat and add the Tbsp of oil, ground meat, onion, and garlic. Cook until the meat is browned.
- Next, stir in remaining ingredients: tomato sauce, drained diced tomatoes, cooked rice, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes or until the mixture starts to simmer. Remove from heat.
Layering the Ingredients
- Finally, lets start layering! Place half your cabbage mixture in the bottom of the pan. Next add ½ of your meat mixture, other half of cabbage, then the final layer being the remainder of the meat mixture.
- Place in your oven for 30 minutes then add the ½ cup cheese to the top and bake an additional 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and the sides of the casserole are bubbling.