I’m from the Midwest.
We eat casseroles. Lots and lots of casseroles.
Why? Because they are super easy to throw together AND super delicious.
This Gluten Free Beef Enchilada Casserole has been made multiple times in the past few months. We absolutely love it!
Our family friend, Danica, was kind enough to bring this yummy meal to us after Jaxon was born.
Lucky for me (and you!), Danica was kind enough to share her recipe with me. Nailing down the measurements was easy and I am so happy to share it with you.
In all fairness, I added a bell pepper and swapped Doritos for plain tortilla chips. However, I think that’s the only changes I made.
Typically, we have tortilla chips on hand so I use them, but feel free to use any tortilla-like chips, Fritos, or Doritos you have in this Beef Enchilada Casserole.
If you are dairy free, leave out the cheese. This dish will taste just as good without it. Plus, this casserole is naturally gluten free!
For all of you meal preppers, prepare this Beef Enchilada Casserole ahead of time and refrigerate until ready to bake. Naturally, leave off the crushed tortilla chips until ready to bake so they don’t get soggy.
Here is your ingredient list:
- 1# ground meat (beef, turkey, bison, venison, whatever you prefer)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 cups shredded cheese, divided
- 2 cups crushed tortilla chips (4 cups uncrushed), divided
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 10 oz can of red enchilada sauce
- 15 oz can black beans, drained
- 15 oz can corn, drained
Also, this meal is perfect to be given to others! You can bring it over already baked or give it to them to prepare in the coming days at their convenience.
Ooooppps, I forgot to mention this meal can be a one pot recipe if you have a dutch oven aka a stove to oven safe pot. For photography reasons I transferred the casserole to a pretty 9×13 pan, but save yourself some dishes. 😉
Okay, lets get you the recipe! Enjoy!
Beef Enchilada Casserole
1 lb ground meat (beef, turkey, bison, venison)
2 beef bouillon cubes
2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1 onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
10 oz can red enchilada sauce
15 oz can black beans, drained
15 oz can corn, drained
2 cups shredded cheese, divided
2 cups crushed tortilla chips (4 cups uncrushed), divided
- In a dutch oven (stove to oven safe pot)*, brown ground meat with 2 bouillon cubes, ground cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and salt.
- Once meat is browned, add in diced onion and bell pepper. Saute until veggies are translucent.
- Stir in can of red enchilada sauce, drained can of black beans, drained can of corn, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, and 1 cup crushed tortilla chips**.
- Once the mixture is combined, top casserole with 1 cup shredded cheese and then 1 cup of tortilla chips.
- Bake in your oven safe pot at 400F for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and sides are bubbling. Let cool for 15 minutes and enjoy!
- If you do not have a dutch oven, prepare the casserole in a pot on the stove and transfer to a 9×13 pan. Then top with shredded cheddar cheese and crushed tortilla chips.
- To make crushed tortilla chips, add 2 cups of whole chips to a tall measuring cup or bowl and crush with a wooden spoon. 2 cups whole chips = 1 cup crushed chips
- If you would like to meal prep this for the week ahead, leave off the crushed tortilla chip topping and refrigerate casserole. When ready to bake, sprinkle top of casserole with crushed tortilla chips. Bake at 400F for at least 30 minutes or until cheese is melted on top and sides are bubbling.