I love Banana Bread!
I generally don’t have the patience to wait for a loaf to bake in the oven, so muffins are perfect for me.
I love the fact that it takes less than 30 minutes to make this recipe from start to warm, gooey, finish!
By: Sarah Koontz
This recipe was handed down to me from my Mom who got it from one of the most amazingly talented bakers I have ever met in my life, “Grammy” Pearson.
The original recipe uses 2 cups of regular flour, so the only change I have made is to replace that with my gluten-free flour blend.
We always have organic bananas on hand. I generally pay 20 cents more per pound to buy organic, and it is so worth it!
No matter how many bananas we eat, they ripen so quickly, I am constantly popping the over-ripe ones into the freezer (I peel them first and put them in a Ziploc bag).
Once I have 3-4 stored up, it is time to make this amazingly simple recipe.
The key to this recipe is not to overmix and not to overbake!
You want the muffins just cooked through, but if you go any longer than that they dry out quickly. I always make these muffins with my gluten-free flour blend and no one is the wiser.
If you have no need for gluten-free baking, I encourage you to make this recipe with regular flour and enjoy it as I did while I was growing up!
Now onto the delicious recipe…
Simply Amazing Gluten Free Banana Bread
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar (I have had success using only 3/4 cup sugar in this recipe)
- 2 eggs
- 3 medium-sized bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips optional
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts optional
Our Gluten Free Flour Blend
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour
- 2 tsp Xanthan gum
- Place your thawed bananas in the mixer and beat until creamy. Remove and set aside.
- Cream room temperature butter with vanilla, salt, and sugar.
- Add 2 eggs and bananas and mix until combined.
- Combine flours with baking soda, then gently stir into wet ingredients until there is no flour visible in mixture. Add the Optional Chocolate Chips or Walnuts at this time.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.